Monday, January 09, 2006

Valuing Time Differently

I've always loved reading; I still do. Now that Piper is a little older, some days I find a little time to read. (No, I don't find any time to cook, clean or do laundry - it's all about priorities, people!) However, these days I feel particular impatience with some authors. The reason is that I feel I have so little time alone that every book I read must be worthy of my attention.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I read a book by Maureen Dowd called "Are men necessary?" Dowd is a New York Times columnist, and her columns are witty and sharp. Therefore, I expected a witty and substantive discourse on feminism. The book turned out to be a sloppy compilations of Dowd's rantings. For example, she cites scientific research for the proposition that in 100,000 years the Y chromosome will be extinct. It's pretty obvious that she sat down one afternoon and slapped the book together.

Before Piper was born, I did not feel the same scorn for unworthy literature. I might discard a book, but I'd move on and wouldn't take it as a personal affront. Now, my feeling is, I have so little time, and I'm reading this garbage? Oy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

As usual, I can relate to the post. I also find myself even less patient during meetings than I used to be. Also, much more indignant at dangerous drivers, especially if my son's in the car with me.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. Totally!

But it also makes good books an even better treat. (Thanks, Jess, for recommending "The Master and Margarita"; it was interesting and worth the time!)

8:25 PM  
Blogger think-knitter said...

Am I the only one who hated Master and Margarita?

10:31 AM  
Anonymous rebecca said...

Oops. I didn't mean to be anonymous in my post.

I don't know, Marianna. I REALLY liked it. (although I concede it is quite strange)

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home