Friday, January 13, 2006

As the Baby Grows

When Piper was born, I loved her and thought she was the most perfect creature that ever graced this planet. I loved being around her, and on many occasions, I just sat there staring at her. However, if I had to be alone with her for more than an hour, I'd get really really bored. I wanted interaction, but all I could do with her was hold her and sing to her; she wasn't interested in toys or anything else (although she did like to listen to Beethoven sonatas - maybe I should start playing them again). So, I just assumed that I was one of those mothers who love their children, but wasn't suited to be around them for too long.

Fastforward 8 months, she's now almost 9 months old. Guess what? She is a totally different person now. She is happy and engaging. She communicates (she doesn't speak, but she makes very clear what she wants), she plays and she interacts with the world. Not only that, but she does something new every day. All of a sudden, I am saddened that she goes to sleep so early and that I don't get to play with her longer. Now I wish I didn't have a full-time job (I still want a job though) and that I could spend more time with my daughter.

Who would have thought?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I think this just gets worse.

And on a side not, I'm sure you're not the only one who hated Master and Margarita. I'm sure there's a club or something! Though I haven't checked, since myself, I love it.

9:12 AM  
Blogger think-knitter said...

Thanks Jessica. I must admit that I have not met a single person (except for my father who agrees with me - but that doesn't count; we have the same brain) who did not love the book. I have not met anyone who was ambivalent or even simply liked it. The only response I hear is "oh my gosh, I loved it!"

9:32 AM  
Anonymous rebecca said...

Wait til she's two. It gets even more fun!! (and maddening and wonderful)

I think, though, that if I did not work outside the home, I might not appreciate how much fun my daughter is. (or I might not appreciate it in the same way) That sounds awful, and I'm not saying it is true for anyone else in the world, but it is true for me.

(My friend Mark who is wonderful and works for ACLU in California hated M&M))

12:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Oh, I know at least one person from college who hated it, didn't even finish it. I think you either love it, or you hate it.

And my reaction is pretty much a gut reaction, not any well-reasoned one. I am not very well read. I am usually too impatient to finish a novel, unless I just love it. For some reason, I just love that book. Maybe it's because I like sci-fi; I think it has that fantastical outlook, that's half of what I like about it.

And about the real issue of this post, I meant just what Rebecca said -- that as Gus gets older, I miss him even more! But, I do think I would go crazy if I didn't work outside the home at all.

2:29 PM  
Blogger catbird said...

I work to live, not live to work. This is what makes it especially hard to leave my baby every day. I mean, I like my job, but I don't absolutely love it. My baby, on the other hand...well, I absolutely love her. Maybe I'd go crazy being a SAHM, but I'd sure enjoy the luxury of giving it a try.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home