Friday, October 14, 2005

Harriet Miers, continued...

I go back and forth between thinking that Harriet Miers is a joke and feeling bad because other people (read: Scott) won't stop trashing her. On the one hand, her dubious distinction on the Supreme Court will be the lack of any academic honors and Constitutional law experience; on the other hand, she is not evil, so people should not make fun of her for sport. I also feel very unsure of her views. Yes, I know, Supreme Court appointments are all about legal brilliance regardless of ideology, but everyone knows that's not true. The last time a President appointed a Justice of opposite ideology (his name rhymes with "Footer") was when the President was wrong about that Justice's ideology.

Some say she's evangelical and will definitely overturn Roe v. Wade. Others (Democrats) are watching the discord within the Republican party and are sitting back and enjoying the show. The Democrats think "the enemy of my enemy is my friend," i.e., if a lot of Republicans hate her, she can't be that bad. As a side note, this is the first time that Republicans are behaving like Democrats: they can't agree and are weakening themselves by airing their disagreement in public.

Yes, I'm ambivalent about Miers. Anyone who knows me even a little knows that ambivalence is a rare state of mind for me. Here's an interesting thought: if we're going to have unqualified people on the Supreme Court, why not appoint me?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Scott Moss said...

Joke I overheard one student telling another in the Marquette Law student lounge:

"Knock, knock"

"Who's there?"

"Harriet Miers"

"Harriet Miers who?"

"Exactly."

I mention this not only to confirm Marianna's grievance that I can't lay off Miers.... I feel some combination of (a) pride that our students are keeping up on current events, and (b) amazement/amusement that a Supreme Court nominee (normally a matter of relative obscurity) is the subject of "knock knock" jokes. I think the perception of Miers really is descending to Quayle level.

I think the Quayle/Miers analogy is a good one, and I don't mean that harshly: (a) I actually always thought Quayle got as bum rap, and I think if I knew Miers I'd perceive her to be an intelligent attorney; (b) but each's skills and knowledge probably fell short of the level we'd like to see for such high-level positions (especially given the depth of the talent pool from which they were drawn); (c) and each wasn't "dumped" by a President named Bush because Bushes are into loyalty -- but that loyalty came at some cost to the credibility and popularity of the President Bush in question....

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Scott Moss said...

Oh, I just have to mention my favorite Miers-debate hypocrisy: The Independent Women's Forum is a right-wing group that describes itself (in the very first sentence of the "About IWF" webpage) as follows: "The Independent Women's Forum was established to combat the women-as-victim" ideology of "radical feminism."

But they've finally found a "victim" of sexism: Harriet Miers. See http://www.iwf.org/inkwell/default.asp?archiveID=1616 (opining that the fake anti-Miers "Hariet Miers blog" is "pretty darned sexist"). Apparently the difference between the worldview of "radical feminism" and that of the IWF is that the former see sexism throughout society... whereas the latter see it only among critics of Harriet Miers.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, I have to let you know how great I think the topic of your blog is. I am also a newer attorney, and although I am not a mother myself, I hope to be one someday and I want the road to be as smooth as possible. I think your blatant honesty is a gift to others who might read your postings and I encourage you to keep it up.

Women (including myself) in this country feel like they must do it all- and do it with a smile, wearing the pastel sweater around their shoulders, hair perfectly in place (just showing her pearl earrings), never losing her temper- and make it look easy too. And, unfortunately, I believe although we can do it, this insistence is only hurting our progress of "moving up the ladder."

So, I guess what I'm saying is keep up the good work- I hope to become a regular.

Oh, and as far as the Miers thing goes, it is a sad day in America when the leader of our country tries to "sell" a candidate to a bunch of educated legislators based on her "strong evangelical background."

Gee, thanks. Now I can sleep at night.

10:06 PM  
Blogger think-knitter said...

Thank you so much for your posting. I have been asking many people I know to post on the blog (ok, I have been badgering them to the point where they run in the other direction when they see me), and it is so wonderful to see that someone wants to participate voluntarily. I hope to see a lot more of you!

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home