Friday, September 30, 2005

Husband has the Mornings

My husband works as a consultant in computer programming which means he accepts projects that may last a couple of years or just a few months. In between assignments there can be several days, weeks or even months.

This year, the year we had our baby, he has been off work for four months.

My work, on the other hand, is every week throughout the year. Now with baby, I work part-time and have primary child care responsibilities. Somehow, the housework, managing the baby's MD appointment, laundry, houshold bills and so forth get shouldered by the stay-at-home (even if it's only part-time) parent.

When husband is working, wife handles all the duties listed. The funny part is when the husband is between assignments. Then, the work load is seriously skewed.

In any given day, my husband will watch the television news and a couple of news commentary programs, go for an heart-pumping bike ride, network with work collegues, you know, the single man's life.

My day resembles a long and varied list of activities that goes uninterupted from mid-morning till ten or eleven o'clock in the evening. Oh, did I mention that my lovely husband will get up with baby and let me sleep in an hour or two after being up a couple of times during the night. It truly is lovely...until that moment he breaks the spell and complains that he had the baby all morning.

All two hours of it. Sigh

2 Comments:

Anonymous Scott said...

Hey, if you're going to slack off on the family bike-riding and news-watching (a tough job, but someone's got to do it), I commend your husband for his industrious efforts.

8:17 PM  
Blogger think-knitter said...

"Husband has the mornings" has become a coined expression at my house. When I wake up my husband in the morning to take the baby so that I could sleep, he says "husband has the mornings."

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home