Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mexico sans the bambino

So, it's tradition that between completing the bar and commencing work at a law firm, law school grads celebrate with a really fabulous trip to somewhere exotic. For months, Jason and I had dreamed of white beaches, snorkeling, and of course, sleeping in -- hours and hours of sleeping in. That's right. We were leaving Wyatt at home. Babies are just like cats; extra food, water, and litter and they're good to go.

Actually, we left Wyatt with my sister's family. We both felt guilty about foisting our son on my sister (who is, herself, the mother of a toddler and a preschooler). But, Hey! The Bar Trip is tradition. As the hour of our departure drew close, I felt physically ill. I was about to abandon my lovely son, the one who trusted me so completely. Of course, all pangs of quilt evaporated upon seeing the turqoise waters off the coast of Cozumel.

I should have known the trip wouldn't be everything I'd hoped for on the first morning there. No baby means sleep -- only we were both wide-awake at 7:30. All around us were adorable Mexican children with angelic smiles. We couldn't escape our longing for Wyatt. After four days we were ready to come home; after five we were at the airport begging them to let us leave. No deal, airlines only fly out on the weekend. I left in tears. We looked joyously forward to our reunion with Wyatt. He would giggle and smile and reach out his arms for us . . .

. . . or he would scream and shake in terror. Not quite what I expected, but exactly what happened. It wasn't that he'd forgotten us, he doesn't react that way to strangers. No, he was furious at us. We'd abandoned him and then materialized from the dead. My niece and nephew assured me that he'd had a wonderful time and he learned sign language and overcame a fear of bath water in our absence.

After a few hours, he had forgiven us. Whether I've forgiven myself is another question altogether.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Wyatt said...

Want to know why I was mad, mom? It's because you went on vacation and left me in upstate New York! And now you go rubbing it in, talking about the smiling children and the turquoise waters....

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home